South High Community School
The Diesel Technology program provides students with the basic skills and knowledge needed to become a successful entry -level diesel technician. The program combines academic instruction with live “hands on” work experience to prepare the student for entry -level automotive technician positions.
Throughout the program, students will become acquainted with the following:
- Service and Repair Brakes, (including ABS)
- Service and Repair Steering and Suspension System
- Perform Maintenance and Service to Power Train (Automatic and Manual Transmissions)
- Service and Repair Electrical and Electronic Systems
- Perform Maintenance and Service to diesel engines.
- Perform Vehicle Maintenance Services
- Service and Repair Tires (including Road Force Balancing)
- Service and Repair Exhaust Systems
- Diagnose and Repair Engine Performance Systems (On-Board Diagnostic Systems)
Cooperative Education and Internship Opportunities
All eligible students have the opportunity to participate in Cooperative Education and Internship experiences at a variety of approved learning sites across the city in their junior and/or senior year. While the requirements and specific opportunities vary from school to school, and program to program, the structured combination of classroom based education and practical work experience provides students with the skills necessary to comfortably navigate the world of work.
- Auto/Diesel Technician
- Specialty Shop
- Shop Owner
- Fleet Manager
- Heavy Equipment
- Parts Counter Person
- Retail Sales
- Service Writer