Our commitment and approach to maintaining an accessible website
Worcester Public School is committed to:
- maintaining an accessible website.
- ensuring that this website achieves “Level AA” conformance to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1, to comply with the National Disability Authority’s Code of Practice on Accessibility of Public Services and Information Provided by Public Bodies. (The National Disability Authority’s Centre for Excellence in Universal Design has an introduction to policy and legislation relevant to Universal Design in Ireland.)
- ensuring that all new information on the website will achieve “Level AA” conformance to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1.
- including accessibility when we procure 3rd-party systems or upgrades to existing systems.
This website’s conformance with official accessibility guidelines
The website currently has A conformance to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1. Our most recent web accessibility audit for this website was on 09.12.18.
We want everyone who visits the Worcester Public Schools website to feel welcome and find the experience rewarding.
Areas for improvement and timelines
We are aware of some areas on the website where we could improve accessibility. We are currently working to achieve this. We hope that this website will achieve “Level AA” conformance to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 by Fall 2019.
|Areas for improvement, time-lines for improvement, and alternatives|
|Section of website||Need for improvement||Timeline for improvement||Alternative access|
|Employment Opportunities||Embedded job listings ( 'Open Positions') window requires a mouse.||We hope to have improved the accessibility of the 'Open Positions' section of the website by Fall 2019.||If you have problems using the 'Open Positions' section of the website, call us at 508-799-3020 and ask to speak to HR . You can also email us at [email protected]|
|WEA-TV Channel 11||Embedded video player requires a mouse and does not include subtitles.||We hope to have improved the accessibility of the player or changed vendors by Fall 2019.||None currently|
|PDF Files Throughout||PDFs have not all be made accessible.||Going forward we are generating and uploading accessible PDFs and training staff through 2019.||Contact [email protected] for conversion of any needed files.|
How to send feedback on this website’s accessibility
We welcome feedback on the accessibility of this website.
- Email us at [email protected]
Accessibility features of this website
Accessibility and usability have been key elements considered in the
development of this website, so we hope you can find, access and use the
information you need. This website has been designed to meet compliance with
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 which supports web
accessibility to allow more accessible and usable web environments. This
- Changing the size of text.
- Adequate color contrast;
- Uses of descriptive links and images;
- Adaptable to different screen sizes, including mobile phones, and
- Use of plain and simple language.
Navigation using a screen reader:
If you are using a screen reader program, there are a number of aids to help you find
your way around the website.
Skip to the main content:
For people using screen readers, each page has a link that says “skip to main content”.
Following this link will skip over the page header and navigation menus to take you
straight to the content of the page. The page header and navigation are repeated on
every page so this avoids hearing them again and again.
Search and search options:
You can search the web site by typing one or more keywords into the search input box
at the right hand side of any web page.
Plain and simple language:
We have tried to write the information on this web site in plain and simple language so it
is easy to understand for as many people as possible.