The following is the transcript from the phone message sent out by the Superintendent on Sunday, August 29, 2021.
This is Superintendent Binienda. I am calling with important school reopening updates.
1. All students must wear face masks on the bus and inside every school. Masks are not required outside at recess.
2. All bus routes are posted in the parent and student portals. The bus stop list is also posted on the WPS website, worcesterschools.org. Due to the shortage of bus drivers, WPS will not be dropping off students at after school daycare programs. Students will be picked up and returned to the same location. We will be monitoring bus routes this first week and may have to make starting and ending time changes over the next few weeks. There will be no transportation provided to secondary students for in-city sports practice or games during the school week. Transportation to out of district game locations will begin at 4:30pm.
3. During the 2021-22 school year, the Worcester Public Schools will be implementing Advocates for Youth’s Rights, Respect, Responsibility, an evidence-informed sexual health education curriculum. The curriculum will be implemented in an age-appropriate manner, by trained Health teachers, according to the National Sex Education Standards and the Massachusetts Health Education Frameworks. The curriculum is posted on the wps website for your review. There will be an online information session for families:
- Kindergarten-3rd grade students - Tuesday, August 31 - 6:00-7:00 p.m.
- 4th-6th grade students - Tuesday, August 31 - 7:00-8:00 p.m.
- 7th-8th grade students - Tuesday, September 7 - 6:00-7:00 p.m.
- High school students - Tuesday, September 7 - 7:00-8:00 p.m.
The opt out form and links for the forums are also posted on the WPS website, worcesterschools.org. Google translate can be used also.
The entire WPS staff is looking forward to seeing our students on Monday.