The Goddard Scholars Academy (GSA) is an academically accelerated magnet school for highly-motivated, high-achieving students of the Worcester Public Schools. The GSA is an Innovation School located within the Dr. Arthur F. Sullivan Middle School. The school has historically served grades 7-8. Beginning with the 2012-2013 school year, the school expanded to serve grades 6-8, with approximately 48 students in two class groups in each grade.
The typical Goddard Scholar is a student who likes school and is eager to accept a challenging pace and curriculum. Goddard Scholars are happiest when they are engaged and busy.
Acceptance to the Goddard Scholars Academy will be based on MCAS/PARCC scores (or Stanine scores for students who did not take MCAS). Qualified applicants must have scores of Proficient or better in both Math and ELA on the 4th grade MCAS (or PARCC equivalent scores of Math 749/ELA 752 or better). A tiered lottery system will be used to fill the 48 seats in the class. Qualified applicants who are not accepted will be placed on a randomly ordered wait list.
Questions? Email GSAinfo@worcesterschools.net.
In April, 2011, the Worcester School Committee approved the Goddard Scholars Academy as an Innovation School under the Massachusetts law An Act Relative to the Achievement Gap.
The key components of the GSA innovation plan are:
- Expansion of the current 7-8
- school to include grade 6 in fall 2012
- Advisory program with mixed-grade groups
- Infusion of technology across the curriculum and a focus on 21st Century skills
- Heightened student engagement and achievement
- Use of Renzulli Learning on-line system
- Flexible schedule to include regular full-academy assemblies
- Re-tooled recruitment process that actively identifies qualified candidates and reaches out to under-represented groups
- Increased parent involvement, including establishment of a PTO
- Increased community partnerships
Measurable outcomes include:
- Student demonstration of acquisition of 21st Century skills
- Increased proportion of Advanced MCAS scores in ELA and Math
- Increased number of applications from students in under-represented groups
Band Practice Guide
Band Parent Practicing Instruction
Band Practice Charts