The Innovation Pathways Program was developed to help expand career field exploration through technical education within Worcester Public Schools. Students participating in the program will experience an in depth look at a career field of their interest, gain industry recognized credentials in that area, engage in college and career planning activities, take college-level classes in preparation for career advancement, and enhance their experience through a summer internship or a capstone project.
Worcester Public Schools has worked with many organizations and businesses to develop a program that meets the needs and interests of students as well as future labor market demands. We are proud partners with:
- MassHire Central Region Workforce Board
- One8 Foundation
- Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce
Program participation is open to any students enrolled in WPS comprehensive high schools:
Burncoat, Claremont, Doherty, North, UPCS, and South.
Preference will be given to 9th graders during the application period.
In summary, students commit to two years of college and career planning classes, two years of technical classes taken at Worcester Technical High School from November - March, and a 100 - hour internship during the summer or a capstone project by the end of their senior year. Students also need to keep Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday open for technical classes.
Career And Academic Planning:
- Provides student support, college and career planning, industry connections, technology knowledge and skills, employability skills, and financial skills
2 Technical Classes from Program List below:
- November through Mid-March
- Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (depending on program) from 1:30 – 5:15 at Worcester Technical HS
- Busing to WTHS provided (dismiss early at 1:00 from school) WRTA passes or guardian pickup for trip home
- Snow days or other cancellations are made up the week following missed class
- Students receive WPS credit on their transcript for the classes
100-hour Paid Internships or Capstone
- Internships will be targeted for summer months based on industry availability
- Students receive WPS credit on their transcript
2 Courses that qualify as College Level
- AP or Dual Enrollment classes
Director of Innovation Pathways